Uncle Steve’s Chicken and Rice Recipe
Uncle Steve’s Chicken and Rice recipe is an easy to prepare single pot meal. Instead of making traditional Chicken Cacciatore, we are cooking the chicken, tomato sauce, and rice together in one pot to make a delicious meal that is easy to prepare.
To make this meal a bit more interesting, we have given instructions on how to render the chicken skin before cooking the chicken. By placing the skin in a hot pan we are going to cook the skin slowly so all of the fat is cooked out of the skin and you are left with delectable salty crispy chips. You can munch on them while preparing the rest of your meal.
In this recipe we are using Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice. This variety is parboiled meaning it is soaked and steamed under pressure with the husks on and then polished. It has fluffy and separate grains and when cooked with our other ingredients it stays firm. I have tried all kinds of other varieties and they do not hold up as well.
- 3 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 3 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- 2 cups Uncle Steve’s Marinara sauce
- ¾ cup Uncle Ben’s converted white rice, uncooked
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place a 12” cast iron skillet or sauté pan, over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the chicken skin in a single layer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crispy. Lift the skin from the pan, leaving the fat behind. Place skins on paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Add onions and peppers to hot skillet; season with salt and pepper. You should have about 5 tablespoons of oil from the skin in the pan. If not, add a little olive oil. Sauté 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent and edges start to brown. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to hot oil and sear about three minutes per side.
- Return onions and peppers to pan.
- Add tomato sauce and ½ cup water. Cover and reduce heat to low setting.
- Simmer (do not boil) 35 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove lid, add ¾ cup rice and 1 ½ cups water then cover. Bring to a boil and lower heat. Cook 20 minutes until rice is soft. If rice is not cooked through add ½ cup water and cook with cover an additional ten minutes. If the rice is cooked and there is too much liquid in the pan, cook uncovered for a few minutes on low heat until excess water evaporates.
- When rice is cooked through, add peas, cover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Makes 3-4 servings.
If you have any questions regarding this Chicken and Rice Recipe, please e-mail email@example.com.
Checkout our recipe’s page, for more instructional recipes!